Between 1997 and 1999, Sensei Castilonia wrote a series of essays for the Aoinagi mailing list. The topics range from the history of Karate to details on kata to nutrition and health to martial arts philosophy. Many essays answered specific questions Aoinagi members posed.
The major essays are collected here in chronological order, as Sensei Castilonia sent them, with any edits or corrections included.
1. Shito Ryu Branches in USA
2. Shito-ryu 54 kata – Useishi-Gojushiho-54
3. Better description of 54 (Gojushiho)
3A. Correction on e-mail #3 Gojushiho Description
The other 54
4. Kenwa Mabuni and his kata
Correction of Error in history of Kenwa Mabuni
5. Mastery of Shito-ryu Physical Training (Mastery or Myth?)
6. Kata and Creators
Higashionna, Higaonna, Toonna
James Mitose, Ph.D., Hanshi
Empty Hand, Empty Mind
7. Will the real Jion please stand up.
8. Bassai Kata Complex
9. To Replace a Kata in Gojushiho
10. Seiunchin: External Appearance/Internal Experience
11. !!! VIVA EL MENKYO !!!
12. Jion, Jiin, Jitte
13. Higashionna, Higaonna, Toonna
14. Menkyo (and other) Secrecy
15. Etiquette and Principles
16. Traditional Weapons
17. Adjunctive Physical Training
17A. Aerobic Benefits and Methods
17B. Flexibility Training
17C. Strength Training
18. Training in Feudal Okinawa
19. Bully, Bully
20. Mawashi Geri
21. Maximum Heart Rate
23. Henshuho: The Source
23B. Henshuho-Kata and Keiko
24. Nutrition Wanderings
24A. Bias and Diets vs Nutrition
24B. Substance, Calories, and Law of Mass Action
25A. “Hey, not bad for a woman!”
25B. Women…What is going on?
26. Kosho-an Introduction
26A. Kosho-Beginning Training
26B. Kosho: The Wedding
26C. Kosho-The Abduction
26E. Jojo Etchu Ryu
28A. Devastation of Okinawa
28B. Japanese Stunned by Barbarians
28C. A Sporting Business
28D. Other Menkyo Systems
30. The other 54
31. Aoinagi: The Name
32. Vital Force; Ki, Chi, Prana
33A. Musashi: Good or Evil?
33B. Musashi, Sekiun, Washington, Hitler and Himmler
34. Isabelle Aubert’s Observations
35. Violence is as violence will.
36. Return of the Gyo Essay; Empty
37. Caution Enthusiasm: Contagious on Direct Contact
39. Bringing martial value to the workplace.
39B. Circle of Responsibility
39C. Circle of Influence
39D. Circle of Concern
39E. Circle of THEM
39F. Interdigitation, Justification of Essay and Closing
40. To Our Christians in the Martial Arts
50. Minamoto to You!
Ninja or Bushi?
51. Community building
One Universe-One Kata-One You
Colors training… A long heritage
Karate Ni Sente Nashi
Two Questions On Classical Form, Kosokun Dai
Juroku….distortion at its best…16 demons…what are they?