Sensei Castilonia Essays
Between 1997 and 1999, Sensei Castilonia wrote a series of essays for the Aoinagi mailing list. The topics range from the history of Karate to details on kata to nutrition and health to martial arts philosophy. Many essays answered specific questions Aoinagi members posed.
The major essays are collected here in chronological order, as Sensei Castilonia sent them, with any edits or corrections included.
2. Shito-ryu 54 kata – Useishi-Gojushiho-54
3. Better description of 54 (Gojushiho)
3A. Correction on e-mail #3 Gojushiho Description
Correction of Error in history of Kenwa Mabuni
5. Mastery of Shito-ryu Physical Training (Mastery or Myth?)
7. Will the real Jion please stand up.
9. To Replace a Kata in Gojushiho
10. Seiunchin: External Appearance/Internal Experience
13. Higashionna, Higaonna, Toonna
14. Menkyo (and other) Secrecy
17. Adjunctive Physical Training
17A. Aerobic Benefits and Methods
18. Training in Feudal Okinawa
24A. Bias and Diets vs Nutrition
24B. Substance, Calories, and Law of Mass Action
25A. “Hey, not bad for a woman!”
28B. Japanese Stunned by Barbarians
32. Vital Force; Ki, Chi, Prana
33B. Musashi, Sekiun, Washington, Hitler and Himmler
34. Isabelle Aubert’s Observations
35. Violence is as violence will.
36. Return of the Gyo Essay; Empty
37. Caution Enthusiasm: Contagious on Direct Contact
39. Bringing martial value to the workplace.
39F. Interdigitation, Justification of Essay and Closing
40. To Our Christians in the Martial Arts
Colors training… A long heritage
Two Questions On Classical Form, Kosokun Dai
Juroku….distortion at its best…16 demons…what are they?